8:00 – 3:00 pm
7:00 – 9:00 am
- Coffee Bar at Registration
8:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Red Pen Query Session
- All conference attendees should bring a query letter or two (personal info removed) to be read and edited by a variety of conference attendees.
8:00 am – 8:50 am
- Expect Success: The Business of Your Career/Shelley Adina
- Whether you’re traditionally or indie published, getting that first book out into the world is a huge milestone. So is the second and the third and suddenly you have a career! So many of us don’t expect success. But with a little preparation and know-how, you can manage your career as you would a small business, from time management to taxes, incorporation, and building a publishing team around you. And by the way, have you written a will yet? Shelley Adina will talk about these and other important issues for the career writer.
- Further Things That Annoy the Piss Out of Timons/Timons Esaias
- Timons has been building a list of cliches, commons mistakes, and damnable habits ever since the publication of his “Don’t Be A Bobble-Head…” essay. We will review the lowlights of that List, with occasional malt balls for those who testify.
- Writing Intriguing Characters/Judi Fleming
- Without a character your readers can relate to, you don’t have a story. What makes some characters draw them in and what elements make a compelling adversary? What about all those secondary characters can your readers really tell them apart? In this workshop, you’ll be given some tools to help you make strong, memorable characters and tweak yours through a guided exercise.
- Story Development and Efficiency In Your Writing/Diana Rowland
- Trends: Finding the YA Sweet Spot/Kurestin Armada
- Discussion about crossover genre fiction, specifically fiction that hits the sweet spot between YA and adult audiences (Red Rising, Uprooted, etc). Why editors want it, what makes a book work for it, how to pitch a book you think might fight the bill, what isn’t a good fit, and so on.
- Navigating the Publishing World from a Publisher and Editor’s Perspective/Sandra Kasturi
- Foreign Rights for Publishing and Film/TV Adaptation/John Bowers
- Guest Author Lunch with Diana Rowland
Lunch provided for all IYWM attendees.
- What I Look For in a Query/John Bowers
- Horror: The Redheaded Stepchild/Sandra Kasturi
- Fixing the First Five/Kurestin Armada
- With genre fiction, it can be hard to balance world building, genre expectations, and character building all in those initial pages, all while maintaining reader interest. Please bring two copies of your first five pages and four different colors of pen/highlighter/crayon for this exercise.
- Special Guest Panel
- Bring your questions about the publishing world. Our fantastic industry professionals (two agents, one editor and author) will be ready to give you answers.
5:30- 6:30 pm
- We are Here to Help: Pick an Editor’s Brain/J.L. Gribble and Anna La Voie
- here is a stigma against editors that they are just frustrated writers. In reality, editors have one goal: To make the author’s work better. Join freelance editors for a panel conversation about the role of editing in the life of a work of fiction.
- Flash Fiction for Fun and Fulfillment/Donna J. W. Munro
- Writing flash fiction can hone your skills as an editor, force you to write with sharp daggers for words, and get your name out there. This workshop will spend half the time discussing markets and communities. The other half of the time will be spent putting together a flash piece.
5:30- 6:30 pm
- Dinner Break (available in Lowe Dining Hall)
- Public Forum, Cecilian Hall
- Enjoy a lecture by the special guest of the WPF program, ?. All IYWM attendees are invited.
9:00 – Midnight
- Costume Ball (Theme: International Persons of Mystery)
- Costumes are encouraged, but not required.
- Join us for our annual costume ball! Finger foods will be provided, and there will be a beer/wine cash bar. Come in your best spy ensemble, or come as you are! Prizes will be awarded for best costumes, and raffle basket winners will be announced. Dance the night away!